Sunday, February 19, 2012

Picking Up Where I Left Off...Big Bass

For those that read my post from last week know that our evening on the water was cut short by the evil combination of Mother Nature and Old Man Winter.  I really don't like having my time on the water cut short due to weather conditions.  In fact the weather needs to be pretty bad for me to throw in the towel. 

Less than a week later I find myself again loading up the kayak to head to the same body of water where on the last trip I landed my biggest bass to date.  The weather conditions today were nothing like the trip prior. These temperatures were in the upper 50's, low winds, and overcast skies.  Needless to say I was feeling pretty good about my chances of possibly landing another bucketmouth.  I leave the house for my 5 minute trip to the launch.  On the way there I think about how many guys beat me out on the water.  I said to myself, "I bet Forrest will be there." Much to my surprise I pull into an empty parking lot! Honestly I was surprised when I didn't see any vehicles.  After the short unload, who do I see stop next to me in the middle of the road...Forrest!  I knew he had to be around somewhere. If he's not fishing, he is close by.  After a brief conversation, it's time to hit the water.

I was like a little kid with a new toy on Christmas day.  This was the first time out with my new GoPro Hero2 mounted on a YakAttack PanFish Portrait w/ Mighty Mount.  Boy is this a sweet setup!  I paddle to a spot that I have not tried before and it did not produce.  Oh well, that's how you learn a lake. Next spot I head to is where I caught my big bass from last week.  I had a good feeling about this stretch so I hit the record button on the GoPro and gave it hell.  "Hello Bass, my name is Richie and I will be your server today. Today's special is a 4" Rapala Husky Jerk, with a side of 30lb PowerPro braid on a 7' medium heavy rod. Can I start you out with something to drink?" About 10 casts later I get an order, it's a 15 1/2" bass.  First fish on the new GoPro for this guy!

I still had a good ways to go before I picked up and went to another spot.  A few cast later and THUMP!  This is a BIG fish!!!  This fish stayed deep, just like I wanted.  After a short but tough battle, another slob of a bass is in the boat. "Please be citation, please be citation!"  21 3/4", just a quarter inch short!!! This bruiser was caught within 10 yards of where I caught my other pig from last week.  The best part is I got the hook set on video!  Once again, my day was made right there.  I just landed my new biggest bass to date and it's all on the GoPro.

The next couple of hours coughed up 2 more bass, one going 17 3/4" and the other going 19 1/2". At
this point I'm on Cloud 9. I could not have drawn this up to save my life!

17 3/4" bass

19 1/2" Bucket

Smile wide for the camera!

In between the studly bass I managed a half dozen pickeral, the biggest going 22".  No pictures were taken of this guy. He decided to swallow my crankbait. A little surgery on this fish and it was back in the water to get him revived.  After a little prayer, he slowly swam off.  I did happen to come accross a scrappy 19" pickeral that didn't mind having his picture taken.

19" Pickeral
The sun starts to set and it's time to call it a day, a GREAT one at that!  The best part of days like this is the paddle back to the launch.. Replaying the hook sets, headshakes, screaming drags, topped off with the sounds of eagles and the nice side of Mother Nature.  My day did not end with sleet, snow, and 20mph winds.  It ended the way you would want it to...Big fish, beautiful weather, great memories, and a few stories to tell.


  1. Nice job there Richie... This weeks got me tied up with alot of work but next week I'm keeping light for some fishing! I'll let you know when I get out..

  2. Awesome fish and post. Thanks a ton for posting up your blog info. I have been glued to my computer building my own on here now as well. Working through some newbie kinks but even more excited to get out with my gopro. Of course being back from your hometown there is not much open water right now, so to the ice we go.

  3. Good stuff dude! I wish the one I caught was that fat! What a hawg!

  4. Great post, Richie! Man, that bass was CHUNKY!

    I really enjoyed the read... especially the part about what the "special of the day" was. Good job. Keep it up!

  5. Thanks Guys! Yeah Joe, Im busting out the ultra-lights soon as well! Seth, it was a great day! I just hope they continue. Brian, it's time consuming as you know but well worth it. Let me know when you put it online. Justin and Rob, I wish I had a scale. I bet the big one had to be pushing 7+lbs! Rob, Im glad you enjoyed my "server" part. I write like I think and talk, except it's a little more P.C.

  6. Hey Richie, I believe that it should be online now as I am starting to see page views. It is titled "From Woods to Water". Now that I have the basic stuff up I need to head to the water and get some content!